As technology improves and more and more types of truck bed covers become available, the demand for truck bed covers is growing steadily. Truck bed covers offer a wide range of benefits (which we’ll explore below) but with so many options available, it can be difficult to decide which type of cover is best for your truck. This guide will walk you through the pros and cons of each type of truck bed cover to help you make an informed decision.
Our Favorite Truck Bed Covers
Sometimes referred to as tonneau covers, truck bed covers are hard or soft covers that cover up the back of a pickup truck, protecting and securing the contents of the truck bed. They come in many different styles and are made from a wide variety of materials. Some of the most popular types of truck bed covers include retractable covers, roll-up covers, tri-fold covers, snap-on covers, and single-piece solid covers. Let’s take a closer look and see which type of cover is best for you!
Retractable Truck Bed Covers
Retractable truck bed covers are popular due to the unmatched convenience they offer; you can open and close them quickly and easily with just the click of a button. They also provide a modern, sleek look. Additionally, retractable covers offer flexibility, as they can be partially closed to cover just part of the truck bed. On the other hand, they take up more space in your truck bed, even when fully retracted. And they tend to be more expensive than other types of truck bed covers.
Roll Up Truck Bed Covers
Roll-up truck bed covers are typically made of softer materials, though some are made from aluminum slats covered in vinyl. Aluminum roll-up covers are still lightweight, yet more heavy-duty and tear-resistant. Other types of softer roll-up covers are not as durable and won’t hold up as well against the elements– they may sag under the weight of rain or snow. Compared to retractable truck bed covers, these types of covers can be rolled all the way up to the bulkhead to maximize space in the truck bed. However, when rolled up, they can partially obstruct your rear-view.
Heavy Duty Truck Bed Covers
Hard folding truck bed covers are another option to consider. Aluminum panel tri-fold covers are more heavy-duty than other types of folding covers. However, if you’re looking for something super heavy-duty, a solid, hinged truck bed cover might be your best bet. These types of covers are usually made of solid, durable materials, like fiberglass. Fiberglass covers can be painted to match your truck, which provides a clean, streamlined look. They usually come with built-in locks for security and they are extremely weather-resistant. On the downside, they tend to be expensive and are more difficult to install and remove than other types of covers, requiring multiple sets of hands.
Benefits of Truck Bed Covers
No matter what kind of truck bed cover you decide to go with, you can expect some great benefits. Truck bed covers are an easy and relatively affordable truck upgrade that can make a world of difference in your day-to-day.
A truck bed cover can benefit you in the following ways:
- Improve security by keeping your cargo hidden and secure. Many truck bed covers come with a lock to help prevent theft.
- Protect your cargo from the elements. This can help extend the lifespan of the valuable tools and equipment you may store in your truck bed.
- Keep your truck bed and cargo clean and free from dust, leaves, mud, etc.
- Increase safety and keep your cargo secure. Loose items in your truck bed are a safety hazard to you and others on the road!
- May lower gas mileage. Some lightweight truck bed covers claim to improve the aerodynamics of your truck and reduce drag, thereby increasing fuel efficiency.
- Keep you organized by keeping everything in your truck bed securely in place.
- Protect the bed of your truck and keep it in pristine condition, which can help maintain the value of your truck in case you decide to sell it in the future.
- Make your truck more versatile and useful for different types of jobs.
With all these benefits in mind, it’s easy to understand why truck bed covers are so popular. Although the upfront cost can be up to a few thousand dollars for the most durable and heavy-duty covers, you’ll save money in the long run by protecting your truck bed, cargo, tools, equipment, and the overall value of your vehicle.
Truck Bed Cover Accessories
If you do decide to invest in a truck bed cover, consider adding on a few accessories for even more versatility. Some popular truck bed accessories to consider include:
- Lock kits for added security
- Tonneau toolboxes or truck bed cargo bags for additional storage and organization
- Bed extenders for transporting long cargo
- Truck bed cover rails and racks for more storage space
- Cargo slides for easy loading and unloading
- And so much more!
Truck Bed Covers with Pacific Truck Colors
At the end of the day, the best truck bed cover for you will depend on your specific needs and how you plan to use your truck bed. If you want maximum convenience, a retractable cover might be best for you. If you value security and durability, a solid-hinged cover might be your preferred choice. If you need the entire truck bed available for large cargo, a roll-up cover might be best. If you still have questions or want more information on truck bed covers, our Portland truck customization experts are here to help!